New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyers: 25 Things You Should Expect from Your Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured by the negligence of another, the representation of an experienced attorney is essential to help you navigate the process of filing a personal injury claim to obtain maximum compensation for your damages. A personal injury lawyer will handle all the details of your case from inception through appeal, until an optimal settlement has been reached.
- We make sure that we have the correct contact information for the person(s) who was responsible for the accident. If there was more than one potentially at fault person involved, we make sure to get everyone’s identity.
- If any of the parties were working, we make sure that we get the correct name and address of the employers.
- We contact witnesses to the accident and obtain their statements.
- We notify the insurance companies who insure the person(s) who caused the accident.
- We put the appropriate parties on notice, consistent with state law reporting and filing deadlines.
- We get pictures of the scene and vehicles (if vehicles were involved).
- We get pictures of your injuries.
- We get the insurance carriers to tell you how much insurance the at fault person has. If they don’t tell us, we employ investigators to find out.
- We look for alternate policies that might apply, including whether you may be covered by uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage in an automobile accident.
- We represent you during a recorded statement to the other party’s insurance company.
- We begin the process of securing your medical records for the defendant’s insurance company and our own evaluation. This includes prior medical records too.
- We coordinate the medical bills, through the appropriate insurance carriers.
- If your medical bills were paid by a carrier that needs to be repaid, like a fully self-funded ERISA qualified plan, Workers’ Compensation, Medicare or DPW, we get the documents to prove it, review the claim for accuracy, and account for the same before settlement.
- If the at fault driver was charged with a traffic violation we make sure to attend the hearing.
- If you’re receiving disability payments and the carrier is entitled to repayment, we ensure that they are entitled to be repaid; and how much they’re entitled to be repaid.
- When you have completed treatment (or you’ve reached maximum medical improvement) we get a report from your doctor that includes a statement of proximate cause, a prognosis and a description of any disabilities.
- If you lost time from work, we collect all your wage and salary and tax information.
- We monitor your out-of-pocket damages.
- We assess your case to determine the reasonable settlement value of your injury case in the jurisdiction where your case would be tried.
- We make a demand that will get you full and fair compensation for all your losses; not just the medical bills and lost wages, but also the pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, embarrassment, annoyance, scarring, disfigurement and other “non-economic” harms.
- We negotiate your claim with the proper insurance company. Keep in mind that it is your decision on whether to settle. As your representative, we use our many years of experience to advise you appropriately.
- If necessary, we file a Civil Complaint in the appropriate county against the person(s) who caused your damages.
- We assist you through the discovery process, which includes preparing you for and attending depositions and medical examinations; and answering of written questions give to us by the attorney for the at fault person(s).
- We prepare the case for arbitration or trial, while still keeping an eye on a potential settlement.
- Most importantly, we make sure that you are informed throughout the process! We understand that this is your case, and we need to provide you with the information and advice so that you can make the right decisions for you.
New Jersey personal injury lawyers at The Law Offices of Eric A. Shore represent clients who have sustained an injury caused by another’s negligence. Our team of experienced personal injury lawyers will work tirelessly on behalf of our clients to reach the best possible financial settlement. For a free consultation, call us at 1-800-CANT-WORK or contact us online. We represent personal injury victims throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland.